The first time Robert went north to deal with the Scots, in 1080, he was asked to reinforce the river crossing defences on the River Tyne at Monkchester.
It was here, the first fordable point above the river-mouth, that Hadrian built the first bridge, Pons Aeliis, so that an army could cross at all states of the tide. From the time of Robert’s directions for new fortifications to be built it became known as, New castle – now properly known as Newcastle upon Tyne.
The original wooden motte and bailey keep was later replaced by a stone construction which now proudly bears Robert’s name on his own Blue Plaque.
Illustrations by Judith Dobie – reproduced by kind permission of Newcastle Castle. See more at: http://www.newcastlecastle.co.uk